Monday, April 16, 2007

04/16 - "Michael ok"


That was the subject line of an e-mail I got this morning from my brother. I thought it odd - why wouldn't Michael (his son, my nephew) be ok? Then I read the e-mail and became aware of the shootings at Virgina Tech, where Michael is a senior. Thankfully, he was at a job interview on Monday so he was nowhere near the campus.

Still, as the day unfolded and each hour brought more and more tragic news, I couldn't help but think "what if". Pretty unnerving, especially since my brother had just been in Chicago over the weekend for a campus visit with his other son. We spent Friday night catching up on what's going on with all his kids (he has a daughter in college too) and their career plans. Great kids, smart kids, and bright futures for each of them. Yet, here it is, just a few days later, and things could have been so much different.

Can't even begin to make sense of it all - I'm just thankful Michael's ok. My heart goes out to the families and friends of those who died, and all of the Hokie Nation. I know it's not much, but taking a cue from the Washington Nationals, I plan to wear a Virginia Tech hat this season outside of Wrigley as soon as I can find one.

"We are Virginia Tech"


Out of the Ballpark Totals:
Monday, April 16 : BP-6 [W-6,S-0], HR-0, Foul-0, Roof-0
Season: BP-17 [W-12,S-5], HR-0, Foul-1 [W-1,S-0], Roof-4 [A-2,C-2]

No comments: