Thursday, May 10, 2007

05/10 - Close But No Cigar

It was "value day" today at Wrigley, so with a relatively cheap bleacher ticket in hand, I went inside today. Of course, Murphy's Law came into play, and I spent most of BP watching balls go over my head and out onto Waveland. Oh well. Couldn't complain too much since it was a beautiful day and we had great seats - top row of the bleachers. True, the front row gives you the chance to scoop a homer out of the basket, but the top row gives you something to lean against, as well as not having to worry about a spilled beer waterfall from above.

So there we were, top row of the bleachers, top of the 5th, with the Cubs on the short end of a 5-1 score. Jason Bay of the Pirates is up and launches a nice high blast that's heading in our general direction. Actually, it's heading in our very specific direction. I'm standing near the aisle trying to figure out if I need to get on the bleacher or not. Ball keeps coming right at us and I quickly come to the conclusion I need to get taller, fast. But I get tangled up trying to turn around, step up onto the bleacher and still keep my eye on the ball, so all I can do is lean over and stick my glove up as high as I can.

Not high enough - guy on the other side is already on top of the bleacher seat, leans over and makes a terrific grab. I think he actually leaned back over the railing a bit, so if he hadn't caught it, there's a good chance that would have made it onto Waveland.

Of course, the guy throws it back, the fans cheer, and I'm left to second-guess myself for the next few batters, replaying the sequence of events back in mind. Then I took the only logical course of action - I had a cold beer.

Out of the Ballpark Totals:
Thursday, May 10: BP-7 [W-7,S-0], HR-0, Foul-0, Roof-2 [A-1,C-1]
Season: BP-73 [W-57,S-16], HR-5 [W-5,S-0], Foul-2 [W-2,S-0], Roof-12 [A-6,C-6]

No comments: