Sunday, May 20, 2007

05/20 - One Good Slam Deserves Another

Not much happening outside the ballpark today. About 30 degrees colder than yesterday and those nice southern winds replaced by some gusty blasts from the Northeast. Only one team took BP today, but it didn't matter - nothing came close to coming out.

Given the wind direction and a couple of hard throwers on the hill, I decided to play roof balls. Konerko sent one my way in the second inning but a big CTA bus kept me from running into the street, so I had to watch it bounce up high over me and onto the roof of the auto body shop behind me on Addison. Paulie came up again in the 3rd, and once again lifted a high "foul ball off to the right and out of play" as Pat Hughes would say. This time there was no traffic, so it was an easy grab for me.

That was it for roof balls - only two - so I spent the rest of the time just enjoying "watching" the game by listening to Pat and Ron on the radio. Those guys know how to paint a picture. For example...

It's the top of 5th and Tadahito Iguchi is at the plate. Zambrano delivers and Iguchi fouls it off straight back. Ball deflects off of Barrett and nails Pierzynski who's standing in the on-deck circle. The way Pat & Ron described it, I felt like I actually saw it, and considering the whole Barrett/Pierzynski brouhaha from last year, I definitely enjoyed it as well.

But I have to give AJ credit - he certainly knows how to rise to the occasion. Top of 7th, bases loaded, and he manages to rip a line drive blast through the wind just far enough to make the basket in deep right center for a grand slam to ice the game for the Sox. I guess Derrek Lee's not the only one who knows how to make a grand statement during the Crosstown Rivalry.

Cubs rally but it's not enough as the Sox win, 10-6. Cubs still take 2 out of 3 though.

Out of the Ballpark Totals:
Sunday, May 20: BP-0, HR-0, Foul-0, Roof-2 [A-2,C-0]
Season: BP-105 [W-84,S-21], HR-5 [W-5,S-0], Foul-2 [W-2,S-0], Roof-14 [A-8,C-6]

No comments: